The NOPD needs the public’s assistance in identifying a suspect in a vehicle burglary in the 500 block of Carondelet Street.
On April 17, 2017 at 7:20 a.m. the victim reported that he approached his vehicle and observed an unknown male burglarizing it. The victim confronted the subject and there was a brief altercation between the two before the suspect fled the scene.
The suspect is described as being a white male, 35-40 years old, 5’11” tall and weighing 170-180 pounds. He had brown facial hair and was wearing a black t-shirt with white writing, camouflage pants and black boots.
If you have any information about this incident or the identity of the suspect please contact Detective Ryan St. Martin or any Eighth District detective at 504-658-6080. Citizens with information that can help solve crimes are asked to call Crimestoppers at 504-822-1111 or toll-free 1-877-903-STOP.
Auto Burglary and Theft
Vehicle burglaries and thefts are largely avoidable. Here are some tips on how to avoid car break-ins and thefts:
1. Lock the doors
2. Close windows and sunroofs
3. Don’t leave valuables such as laptops, cell phones, wallets, purses or GPS devices in plain view
4. Put away the garage door opener and any items with personal information
5. Move valuables to the trunk before reaching your destination
6. Don’t leave any keys in the vehicle, including a valet key or a spare key for another vehicle that parks near yours in your garage, driveway, etc.
7. Park in a well-lighted place whenever possible
8. Use the emergency brake when parking to make it more difficult for a thief to tow your vehicle away.
Key fobs present a serious weakness in your car's security. An amplifier can detects key fob signals from up to 300 feet away and transmit them to your car so while your keys could be in your house, criminals could still unlock it. To prevent hackers from stealing your key fob signal you can wrap them in foil, place them in a foil-lined box or radio frequency signal blocking bag. You can also put them in your microwave oven – just don’t turn it on.